Importance of Tourists from China for Europe – A Look at the City of Hamburg
We want to know how important Chinese travellers have become for the European tourism and retail industries, taking the city of Hamburg as a case in point. Hamburg, one of the major German cities, belongs to the top 5 preferred destinations of Chinese tourists visiting the country.
So we approached the person responsible for promoting international tourism in Hamburg. In our interview with Mrs Silke Walter from the International Division of Hamburg Tourism GmbH, we learned just how relevant Chinese tourists already are for local industries there.
There are three major insights we would like to share with you:
- The importance of Chinese tourists has increased significantly in Hamburg: In 2016 in particular, the number of overnight stays by Chinese tourists increased by about 30 per cent. Thus, Chinese travellers have created lots of business opportunities for the tourism and retail industries of Hamburg.
- The potential of Chinese tourists is expected to grow further in the foreseeable future: Mrs Walter predicts that the number of Chinese tourists will increase massively in the next five years. Therefore, Chinese travellers will become one of the leading tourists groups in the city’s tourism market and bring about new business opportunities for local industries.
- Hamburg offers local companies various possibilities to promote their businesses to Chinese tourists. You should inquire about any similar activities and opportunities in your own city to help promote your business.
You can download the complete interview with Mrs Walter below, as well as her contact details in case of any further questions.
New opportunities for the European retail industries
The ongoing transformation of the Chinese outbound travel market and Chinese tourists’ preferences offers new business opportunities for the European retail and travel industries. Shopping has been one of the most popular activities of Chinese tourists during their visits to Europe. Famous international brands in the fields of cosmetics, apparel and household goods have been traditionally on their shopping lists. With the growing interest in the individual European countries’ different cultures, local handicrafts and products with unique designs have become extremely popular.[layerslider id=”38″]
The city of Hamburg is a good example of how important Chinese tourists are becoming for the European travel and retail industries. To receive more information about this dynamic outbound tourist market, we recommend that you download our e-book entitled:
5 Must Know Things about Chinese Tourists. You will learn from it more about this growing market, and how you can best tap into its potential.
We are interested in your own related opinions and experiences, and would love to be in touch with you. We would be keen to know:
- Has the importance of Chinese tourists for your own business also increased over the last two years or so?
- Are you already cooperating with local tourism marketing agencies to promote your business dealings with Chinese tourists?
Thank you for sharing your ideas and feedback with us!
Wishing you all the best,
Rossella and Margot